The church of Notre-Dame-des-Accoules
This medievel church of the 11th century, had a turbulent history. It was rebuilt in the 13th century, destroyed during the French Revolution in 1794 with the exception of the bell tower and rebuilt in the 19th century. The bell tower, with octogonal sides, is built on the former Tour Sauveterre, which served to sound the tocsin in case of fire or attack, and which allowed to convene the City Council. It is one of the oldest remains of Marseille. Its arrow has been included in the Additional Inventory of Historic Monuments since 1964.
Dating from the 19th century, the church as we know it today is built on the site of the primitive Church, from a centered plan. The courtyard highlights an atypical decor with a religious connotation. On the right, the chapel of Calvary forms a rotunda with a dome dating back to the beginning of the 19th century. Towards the back there are crypts that open onto a pile of hollowed-out fakerocks. This set of stones recalls the grotto of Lourdes. The church of Notre-Dame-des-Accoules and the grottoof Lourdes both illustrate a grotto of Mary Magdelene and are surmounted by a Calvary, a Christian monument comprising a cross.