The Canebière was opened in 1666 during the expansion of the city ordered by Louis XIV. Its name comes from the Provençal word "Canebe", hemp, which perpetuates the memory of the rope makers settled here since the Middle Ages.
But it was only with the departure of the Grand Arsenal at the end of the 18th century that the Canebière was extended to the port and that beautiful buildings were built there.
The metal bandstand replaced an older wooden one in 1911. A Wallace fountain, which will be found in the Longchamp park, was installed here in the 1930s.