
A bit of history
The ‘Cours Ju’ originally served a completely different purpose , as it was the heart of Marseille – the wholesale and retail fruit and vegetable market – from around 1860 to 1970. The Cours Julien and La Plaine were Marseille’s main hubs for the trade in fruit and vegetables. Farmers from the surrounding towns and villages – such as Plan-de-Cuques, Château-Gombert, La Pomme, Mazargues and Bonneveine – would unload their produce on the Cours Julien, both in the wholesalers’ warehouses and in the open air. The market was held along the Cours, brought to life by the lively banter of the ‘Partisanes’ (semi-wholesalers), whose voices are still very much alive in the memories of the people of Marseille.
Around 1960, the City of Marseille, in order to relieve congestion in the city centre and on the Cours Julien, decided to consolidate all fruit and vegetable wholesale activities onto a single site in the Arnavaux district. In the 1960s, the Marseille City Council planned to bring all fruit and vegetable trading activities together on a single site, to free up space in the city centre and on the Cours Julien.
In , it set up a semi-public company, SOMIMAR, to develop and manage a Market of National Interest (MIN) in the Arnavaux district (14th arrondissement). The Cours Julien market moved there in March







































































