A neighborhood in Marseille’s 13th borough
Located in Marseille’s 13th borough, Les Olives neighbors the Croix-Rouge, Montolivet, Rose, Saint-Julien and Trois-Lucs districts.
Contrary to appearances, this neighborhood adjacent to the municipality of Allauch does not owe its name to the cultivation of the olive tree, but to the Olive family according to the parish’s livre de raison. Indeed, Simon Olive and Jeanne Davin, a couple of nourriguiers (the Provençal equivalent of a shepherd), made the acquisition of a plot of land on February 10, 1466 by Paul Marsan. They naturally named the place Les Olives. After their death, their children formed the domaine des Olives, then the descendants the hameau des Olives.
In 1660, the Olives church was built within the neighborhood. An extension was built in 1759 at the expense of the inhabitants. In the early 19th century, the religious edifice was canonically erected as a branch parish of Allauch. The original village now occupies a small rocky hill. The neighborhood is crossed by the Jarret, a tributary of the Huveaune and 21 kilometers long.