Le château de Bois Luzy
The château de Bois Luzy, dating back to the 17th century, was originally an estate belonging to Robert de Ruffi, extending over vineyards, olive groves, meadows… In 1853, Charles Auguste Bazin bought the estate for his wife Louise, known as “Luzi”, as a second home, and built a château. The estate changed owners over the years, each adding his or her own personal touch: mosaics, construction of a housing estate, etc. The City of Marseille bought part of the estate in 1927 to build a day-care center, a school, a kindergarten, a stadium and a secondary school, while retaining a green space. In 1939, the château was used as a police rest home, and in 1940 it was requisitioned by German army units. Since 1947, it has been entrusted to a social tourism association, which has turned it into a youth hostel welcoming tourists from all over the world and offering numerous events.