See photos (3)

South Marseille

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Roman way at Marseille

  • Parc Chanot comprises an exhibition centre, a conference centre and a public park with numerous play areas for children. This is where the Marseille International Fair is held every year in late September and early October.
    Dance...
    Parc Chanot comprises an exhibition centre, a conference centre and a public park with numerous play areas for children. This is where the Marseille International Fair is held every year in late September and early October.
    Dance school.
    Inaugurated in 1992 and built by Simounet, the school houses the Marseille National Ballet Company. The building is turned in on itself, in the same way as a cloister, to maximise the dancers' concentration. 20, Boulevard Gabès.
    Borely Château and park.
    Formerly the property of the "Borély" family, which had its country house built here in 1766. This rich family of merchants held an enviable position in Marseille, and like other well-off merchants in the city, they owned many buildings and mansions. But more than a mansion, the Marseille soul was obsessed with the idea of "la bastide", a Provençal country house. The Borély bastide, which we now call a château, was at that time no doubt the largest and finest of them all, just as Louis Borély had wished.
    In the middle of the 19th century, the city authorities bought part of the estate. After housing an Archaeological Museum there for many years, the Municipality has now handed the château over to the Regards de Provence Foundation which organises cultural events there. The grounds of 17 hectares, with lake, garden in the French style, rose garden, botanical gardens, shady lawns and cycling tracks, is a very popular park with the people of Marseille. It is located between the Huveaune river, the sea and the race course, right at the heart of new developments which are further emphasising its attractiveness: canoekayak centre on the Huveaune River, golf range at the race-course and huge circular track reserved for roller skaters, skate boarders and other non-motorised vehicles.
    Château Pastré.
    This former bastide stands in grounds of 1.1 square kilometres, between the sea and the hills. It was built during the 1860's by the architect Jean Danjoy in a reinterpretation of the Louis XIII style, subtly mixing Marseille bricks and the blonde stone of Arles. Since 1994 it has been the home of the Earthenware Museum, which boasts more than 12,000 ceramics from Marseille, the region, France and Europe, from Neolithic times to the present-day.
Openings
Openings
  • All year
    Opened Everyday