Eglise des Grands Carmes

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Church, Classical in Marseille 2ème

  • In the 13th century, religious from "Mount Carmel" arrived in Marseille and settled in the "Aygalades". First int he caves called the " l'Ermitage", then in the village bathed in the living waters which gave their name to the site, the abundant waters. In 1285, they founded a monastery within the city walls.
    Thanks to the generosity of the "Monteux family", a first church was built. Having fallen into disuse, it was rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th century. Bishop F. Ragueneau laid the...
    In the 13th century, religious from "Mount Carmel" arrived in Marseille and settled in the "Aygalades". First int he caves called the " l'Ermitage", then in the village bathed in the living waters which gave their name to the site, the abundant waters. In 1285, they founded a monastery within the city walls.
    Thanks to the generosity of the "Monteux family", a first church was built. Having fallen into disuse, it was rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th century. Bishop F. Ragueneau laid the first stone in 1603. The octogonal bell tower was completed in 1640. The church was very popular and many corporations were held in its chapels. Processions and festivals take place on the square.
    During the Revolution, it was used for patriotic meetings. The church was closed, but its bells remained. During the 19th century, the church was reduced by a third of its length due to the demolition of the choir's dome, which was threatening to collapse.
    In 1898, after its refurbishment, the parish priest Décanis undertook the redesign of its decoration , covering it with paintings and introducing more than 300 statues, of all origins. To be seen : the woodwork and stalls with paintings by "Serre", the high altar by "Duparc" and a beautiful pulpit..
    Parish priest : Alain Ottonello.
Our suggestions