Eglise Mission de France St Pie X Marseille

Eglise de la Mission de France Saint Pie X

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Church, Baroque in Marseille 1er

  • Church built under Louis XIV between 1648 and 1673 by the Lazarists during the expansion of the city. This church remained in this state until about 1840.

  • Closed during the Revolution, it became national property and was put up for sale in 1795. It was rented to the "Poor Clares" ( les Clarisses) from 1806 to 1833, then entrusted to the Jesuits by Bishop Eugène de Mazenod in 1839. The latter undertook its restoration from 1844 onwards. It was in fact a real reconstruction which completely changed the appearance of the building.

    In 1860 Désiré Michel, a cement manufacturer, created the very original façade that we can still see today. Organ...
    Closed during the Revolution, it became national property and was put up for sale in 1795. It was rented to the "Poor Clares" ( les Clarisses) from 1806 to 1833, then entrusted to the Jesuits by Bishop Eugène de Mazenod in 1839. The latter undertook its restoration from 1844 onwards. It was in fact a real reconstruction which completely changed the appearance of the building.

    In 1860 Désiré Michel, a cement manufacturer, created the very original façade that we can still see today. Organ case designed by the architect and engineer Henry Condamin from Marseille. Closed to worship in 1901, it became a concert hall, then after various tribulations, a masonry school and a warehouse for school furniture until 1979. It was finally given back to worship by the City of Marseille to the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pie X, the 18th of October 1982.
    Accessible for disabled
  • Environment

    • Close to a public transportation
    • Subway station < 500 m
Services
  • Services

    • Pets welcome
Our suggestions