Allées de Meilhan

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Square, 19th C in Marseille 1er

  • The street " La Canebière" was opened in 1666 when the city was enlarged, ordered by Louis XIV. Its name comes from the Provencal " Canebe", hemp, which perpetuates the memory of the cord makers settled here since the Middle-Age.

  • But it was only with the departure of "Grand Arsenal" at the end of the 18th century that the "Canebière" was extended to the port and beautiful buildings were built there.
    The alleys of "Meilhan"and the 1666 extension provided for the creation of a public promenade beyond the ramparts. The work was not completed until 1775 thanks to the intendant of Provence, Sénac de Meilhan. These alleys are then famous for their musical balls " guinguettes". The style of the buildings is very different...
    But it was only with the departure of "Grand Arsenal" at the end of the 18th century that the "Canebière" was extended to the port and beautiful buildings were built there.
    The alleys of "Meilhan"and the 1666 extension provided for the creation of a public promenade beyond the ramparts. The work was not completed until 1775 thanks to the intendant of Provence, Sénac de Meilhan. These alleys are then famous for their musical balls " guinguettes". The style of the buildings is very different from that of "Canebière" and street of "Noailles" and most of them date back to the end of the 18th century.
Our suggestions