The oldest city in France, founded 2,600 years ago.
- 2nd largest French city : according to population: 859,367 (INSEE 2011 figures)
- Largest French Communauté Communes, Marseille Provence Métropole, totalling 18 towns and villages with a population of 1,200,000.
- Area : 240 km2 including 100 km2 of natural areas.
- Largest European suburban park: Calanques National Park
- Coastline : 57 kilometres including 20 kilometres in the Calanques.
- Climate : 300 days of sunshine per year.
- Average temperatures: Spring 19°C / Summer 25°C / Fall 14°C / Winter 12°C.
- Twinned with 13 international cities. Further information on: :www.marseille.fr
- Transport: 2 metro lines, 2 tram lines, 1000 bikes in 130 stations, 77 bus routes, 20 car parks totalling almost 10,000 parking spaces.
- Biggest cruise port (1,188,031 passengers) and French freight port (2013 figures)
- World Water Capital since 1996 – World Water Council headquarters
- 2013 Marseille Provence European Capital of Culture